Job Type Weekly rehearsals on a Monday evening during term time, with 3 or
four concerts each year, with UK touring concerts in alternate years.
Ability to provide piano accompaniment for rehearsals an advantage.
Starting Trials across the 2020-2021 season with trial concert Christmas 2020. Appointment
Location Church Hall, Rushmere St Andrew, Ipswich, IP5 1DH
To Apply Please send CV and covering letter as soon as possible to: email@example.com
Selection The selection process will involve trial rehearsals.
The choir’s committee will make the final decision
The Gippeswyk Singers is a small amateur chamber choir of approximately 40 voices,
based in Ipswich. The choir was founded by Geoff Lavery in 1972, who conducted until
1986 when he was succeeded by Barry Salmon, and
subsequently Alan Loader. Geoff returned as Musical Director in 2012, and
works in conjunction with an enthusiastic and supportive committee.
Gippeswyk Singers are a non-auditioned choir with a repertoire that ranges from madrigals
and standard classical choral works to carols, folk idioms and contemporary vocal
The choir performs several concerts and engagements each year, supporting
local charities. A highlight, every second year, is a summer concert tour further
afield; Holland (2014), Yorkshire (2016), and the West Country (2018). This is
well supported by the members who create a sociable and welcoming society.
The choir, supported by two other local choral societies and the Lambeth
Orchestra, has performed to full houses at the internationally acclaimed concert
hall at Snape Maltings on two separate occasions; Elgar’s Dream of Gerontius (2017)
and Verdi’s Requiem (2019). A future concert at Snape is planned for April/May 2021.
More details can be found by contacting our secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gippeswyk Singers rehearse every Monday evening from 7.30pm until
9.30pm, with a brief coffee break. Rehearsals are scheduled, as far as possible,
to follow the local main school and half term holidays.
St Andrew’s Church Hall
Rushmere St Andrew
Published Suffolk School Term Dates for the 2021/22 season
1st Sept – 17th December 2021
4th Jan – 8th April 2022
25th April – 21st July 2022
Concert and Venues
The Gippeswyk Season runs between September and June each year. The choir generally
perform three or four concerts each year, one around Christmas and
the New Year, one around Easter and a summer concert in June. Alternate years
the choir has been on tour, performing the same concert at one local and two
tour locations. Over recent years the choir has sung in Holland (2014), Yorkshire
(2016), and the West Country (2018), with another planned for the summer of
2020 in ‘Elgar country’.
Management of the Choir
The Gippeswyk Singers are managed by a committee comprising of members of
the choir, elected each year at their AGM, and is governed by its constitution.
The conductor is an ex- officio member of the committee.
The Gippeswyk Singers aim to provide a broad and varied repertoire to challenge members
and engage with their audience. The choir enjoys the challenge of
singing a cappella works.
The repertoire is selected by the committee working closely with the conductor
and taking into account the views of the membership.
Conductor / Musical Director – Job Description
This document describes the duties and responsibilities of the Conductor of the Gippeswyk
Singers for the duration of his/her tenure with the choir. This job description may
be changed from time to time as deemed necessary to meet the requirements of the
· To conduct three or four public concerts per year, in agreement with the committee.
These will usually be around Christmas, Easter and June/July. The venues vary but
are within reasonable travelling distance of Ipswich.
· The Conductor should expect to attend all rehearsals, and to arrange for a suitable
deputy under exceptional circumstances if he/she cannot attend.
· Prepare for each rehearsal to ensure that a thorough approach is taken to the preparation
of the music for each concert.
· Identify vocal soloists and orchestra players for specific programmes and work
committee to meet those requirements.
· Work with nominated choir members, committee members and the Concert Manager in
the preparation and staging of concerts.
· Participate in promoting attendance at concerts and to allow publicity activities
for concerts such
as (without limitation) photographs, interviews, which may be used for social
· Provide the choir with musical direction in order to develop the skills and abilities
of its members
and achieve the highest possible standards, while ensuring that rehearsals and
concerts are an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
· In consultation with the committee, plan and agree the annual musical programme
for the choir.
This programme should balance challenge, enjoyment and musical development for
while also considering the practicalities of ability and budgets, as well as
· Attend committee meeting, when invited by the committee, and to provide advice
and recommendations on musical matters.
· Attend the choir’s AGM and any other special meetings that may be called.
· Work with the committee to ensure that the selection of soloists, costs for music
and the expenses remain within budget limitations.
Terms and Conditions of Service
· The Conductor is a contractor to the Gippeswyk Singers, not an employee.
· Remuneration package, a stipend to be negotiated, based on the number of rehearsals
and public performances.
We are looking for a conductor with proven ability to inspire and develop an amateur
choir whose members are adults. The successful candidate will be able
to demonstrate the following skills, experience and characteristics:
· Excellent conducting technique with a track record of conducting experience.
· Ability to make rehearsals and concerts rewarding and enjoyable experiences.
· Extensive knowledge of and enthusiasm for a broad repertoire.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with amateur performers.
· Willingness to work with the committee to drive ideas about the future direction
of the choir.
· Reliability and commitment.
· The ability to engage with audiences.
· Has contacts with potential soloists, both locally and nationally.
· Experience of working with and conducting professional soloists.
Gippeswyk Singers are committed to diversity and equality of
opportunity in all working practices.
The final list of conductors selected for a trial rehearsal in the 2020 – 2021
season will be taken by the committee on the recommendation of the selection panel,
taking into account the skill areas listed in the person specification and
the views of the choir members after those rehearsals.
Applications should be by email to email@example.com as soon
as possible. Closing date for applications: 31/03/2020.